Advertisements

Even Kimi doesn’t get special treatment in Finland

| Source: iltasanomat.fi | mtv3.fi |

Kimi Räikkönen, who follows motocross MX1 and MX2 class world championship races in Finland, Hyvinkää, got to see that being an F1 star doesn’t always grant you special treatment. Räikkönen was following his own motocrossteam Ice1Racing’s performances.

Räikkönen, who arrived at the event around noon, was relaxed in the racing area. He had refreshments in the pit garage but also took the time to follow the actual race from the stand. At the same time Räikkönen got to see that being a F1 star doesn’t always grant special treatment.

When Räikkönen tried to get in the VIP premises he was sent away from the gate because he didn’t have the VIP pass hanging around his neck.

“Kimi didn’t have the pass, so I told him that he has no business to go inside. Here we look at the pass, not at the face,” said the doorman who turned back Räikkönen.

According to him Räikkönen wasn’t offended over it, he went back to get the required pass like a good boy.

“Kimi wasn’t offended by that. When he came back with the VIP pass I wished him a good race. I guess that Kimi also wants to be treated in the same way as others are treated,” the doorman speculated.

“But the other watchers who sat nearby got a bit offended and came to say to me “don’t you know who you didn’t let in”,” he laughed.

Räikkönen didn’t want to comment on his own F1 plans. Vacating Räikkönen only wanted to concentrate on the actual motocross event.

In Räikkönen’s entourage was among others his mother Paula, brother Rami and PR manager Riku Kuvaja.

The race in Hyvinkää was also popular among regular watchers. According to the organizers about 8000 people came to watch the race.

On Twitter:

@StefanEverts 11 Jul
Yesterday riding with some friends from Finland… 👍S72 pic.twitter.com/c6yUcuijRH

Advertisements

15 responses

1. leonardo

Kimi is an ordinary guy, after all. When I bumped into him at the airport, he was standing around doing exactly what I was doing: waiting. And no one, except me, knew who he was. But he was most friendly when I approached him for an autograph. That’s the Kimi I will remember.

He’s just like one of us. Only difference is that he’s a damn good racing driver!

July 15, 2013 at 12:17 pm

• Kimi4WDC

Good stuff!

July 16, 2013 at 3:10 am

2. Rudhi

Woooowww u met him!!!!

July 15, 2013 at 2:40 pm

3. leonardo

Yes I met him, but by accident. I was waiting for a transfer in the transit lounge and a guy who had a remarkable resemblance to Kimi kept pacing up and down, texting on his phone. When he got close enough, I realized that it was indeed Kimi! But what I found very odd was that no one was bothering him at all. Seems no one there recognized him in Africa!

I eventually went over to him once he had stopped texting, and asked if he was Kimi. At first he kinda looked at me all weird, as if to say “what the f…k do you think?” But then he smiled, and said, “And to think I was getting away with it!” laughing. It struck me that he’s actually very funny – and equally perceptive! He had never seen me before in his life, but was still completely at ease when I approached him. Cool as ice indeed!

Needless to say, I’ll never forget that day. And I have his autograph on my boarding-pass to prove it.

July 16, 2013 at 12:06 pm

• Hahaha so cool!!!!! I’d love to exchange words with him like that

July 19, 2013 at 11:56 am

4. Rudhi

Thx Leonardo to have share that, Kimi never swears LOL. Oh u met him in Africa. Kimi with a cellphone,quite weird. He looks very cool indeed, he’s only Iceman in the paddock but outside he looks like a normal guy . Certainly the coolest guy in F1. Hope one day i’m lucky enough to meet him Lol.

July 16, 2013 at 3:18 pm

• leonardo

I live in South Africa

July 18, 2013 at 11:24 am

• rudhi

me too African, Mauritian precisely. Hope in a near future there’s a GP on the continent, ur country will be the favourite to host it

July 18, 2013 at 12:36 pm

• leonardo

My sister lives in Mauritius

July 18, 2013 at 12:58 pm

• rudhi

she must have told u how corrupt n badly governed that country is then LOL. Hope she’s fine. When u come over lemme knw, gonna watch Iceman wins a GP LOL. F1 not popular at all here though.

July 18, 2013 at 2:22 pm

5. Dindi

Paula and Matti raised Kimi well.

July 17, 2013 at 1:45 pm

6. Dindi

Awesome story, Leonardo!

July 17, 2013 at 1:46 pm

7. rudhi

Saima must be so disappointed n sad, Kimi isn’t participating in the Silverstone test.

July 18, 2013 at 12:40 pm

8. Yea, very disappointed 😦 Spent £53 on tickets and waiting for refund.

July 19, 2013 at 11:54 am

• rudhi

dnt worry, there wont be a thrid time unlucky. spend some holidays in Finland LOL.

July 19, 2013 at 2:18 pm